Brent Shaw Brent Shaw, 19 September 2016 at 3:20 am

Share This

I've wanted one of these hilarious little utes ever since they were included in Playstation's Gran Turismo game way back in 1999.

They pop up for sale on Trade Me occasionally, but either the timing wasn't hasn't been right for me, or the condition of the vehicle was a bit rough for my liking, or the asking price was too high.

Until now...

I bought this little beast recently, and made the trip from Hamilton to Lower Hutt and back over the weekend to bring it home.

It's a 1997 model, and has done only 18,000km! It's the tidiest one that I've seen, although it's obvious that it has been sitting outside for a bit, not being used. My plans are to give it a good tidy up, put my DOOZI number plates on it and use it as a promo vehicle for my business.

These things were built for city driving, and are very highly geared. We've moved out to the country recently, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes on the short stretch of highway that takes us into town.

The little 3-cylinder engine only makes around 30hp, but with a kerb weight of just 550-630kg (depending on spec), it gets to 80km/h with ease. Anything over that is a bit uncomfortable with its 4-speed gearbox and 5.66:1 ratio diff though.

I guess I'll need to get used to being pointed and laughed at now!

Brent Shaw Brent Shaw , 20 February 2017 at 12:16 pm

Share This

Squeezing 6 humans into a single seater truck:

Reply to this topic